It is quite simple to make a pompom, it does not require a lot of threads, but it will serve as an excellent decoration for clothes or accessories for children and adults.
The classic way to make a pompom:
1. Determine what size pompom you need (ie the length of the pompom pile).
2. Cut two identical "donuts" from thick cardboard, where the distance between the inner and outer circumferences is equal to the length of the pile of the future pompom.
3. Fold these cardboard mugs and wind the threads around them. The more threads are wound, the tighter the pompom will be. A thick pompom will keep its shape longer.
4. Cut the threads along the outer edge of the circle.
5. Gently slightly push the cartons apart, put a fairly long thread between them and pull the pompom in the middle with it. Now you can remove the cardboard completely. (Save the cardboard blank for the pom-pom, it will be useful to you in the future).
Another way to make a pompom is to wind the threads around a cardboard rectangle. In this case, its width should be twice as long as the pile length of the future pompom. A variation of this method is to wind the threads around your fingers or a fork. This way you can make a small pompom.
Helpful Hint: If you see that you have an uneven pompom, just trim the pile gently to make an even ball.
Decorate with pom-poms a scarf, hat, barrette or hair tie, bag, mittens. Also, pom-poms can play the role of a keychain. Rugs and soft toys are also made from pompons.