Mimulus is a godsend for those who appreciate unpretentiousness, long flowering and colorfulness. This is a sprinter flower that can grow and bloom in a short time.
Mimulus (lipstick) is not a very common flower. It is not often found in the garden and in the landscaping of balconies. Meanwhile, Mimulus has several undeniable advantages:
- plants grown from seeds bloom after 7 … 8 weeks;
- flowers are not afraid of cool weather in spring and late autumn, they tolerate cold rains and frosts with dignity;
- bloom for a long time and retain their decorative effect in the second half of summer and autumn, up to the first snow;
- have a diverse range of colors of flowers, different plant heights, from 15 to 50 cm and above.
Mimulus differ from other common colors in that they do not like hot weather. In mid-summer, when dry, high temperatures and low humidity, they stop blooming.
How to grow mimulus from seeds?
Mimulus has small seeds. They are sown at home in loose moisture-absorbing soil for seedlings in late March - early April for flowering in spring and early summer.
Sowing is carried out superficially, whether they are granular or conventional. Before germination, the seeds require moisture, so they are covered with foil or glass.
At a moderate temperature (18 … 23 ° C), seedlings appear within a week. As soon as the cotyledon leaves unfold, the containers with mimulus are moved to a cooler place with a temperature of at least 15 ° C and watering is reduced. The soil at this time should have moisture, but it should not be "swamped".
Seedlings dive when 2 … 3 leaves appear.
Seedlings grow of high quality at low temperatures (about 15 … 18оС), moist soil and good light.
To get abundant flowering, they are pinched when 4… 6 leaves are unfolded and the first flowers that appear are removed.
If the plants are lagging behind in growth, then they are fed with mineral soluble fertilizers for seedlings in small concentrations.
For balconies, growing in pots, modern hybrids are used:
- Thus, Magic hybrids are the most compact and early blooming group, having up to 15 different colors and a height of 15 to 25 cm.
- The Maximum series of hybrids has the largest flowers, up to 6 cm. The varieties of this series are taller, 30 … 50 cm and the most resistant to hot weather in the summer months. They are suitable for growing in flower beds and containers.
- For hanging baskets and planters, go for the Mystic hybrid series. Its flowers are notable for their short stature (15 … 20 cm), compactness and are perfect for a hanging "garden".
When growing mimulus in the garden, its seedlings are grown in the spring in a greenhouse. For flowering in autumn, sowing is carried out in partial shade in summer.
In the fall, you can collect your seeds, transfer the plants you like in color to the house and save them until spring. And in the spring, propagate mimulus from cuttings.
Mimulus is planted in various containers, flowerpots, hanging baskets, on balconies, on alpine slides, as well as near water bodies.